1920s Party Theme
Jazz, flappers, prohibition and gangsters. This era was called the roaring 20s with good reason, and it makes a fabulous theme. Browse down the page for food and party ideas.
See The Great Gatsby at the movies for more ideas. Agatha Christie’s Poirot stories was set in the 20s as well – watch the series with David Suchet to soak up the art deco buildings and clothing.
20s Clothing and Costumes
- Costume Box – Thousands of Fancy Dress costumes for adults and kids for all occasions. Most costumes dispatched within 24 hours. All costumes displayed are in stock. See their Historical costumes and their 1920s costumes.
- Costume Collection is based in Ingleburn, Sydney offer prompt dispatch and same day Sydney delivery to some areas. Extensive range of costumes and accessories for men and women, standard and plus size. See their 20s costumes and flapper dresses.
- Party Supplies Online – Sydney-based party products store in operation since 1991. They specialise in themed and coloured tableware, balloons costumes and more. See the range of
Dress ups and Fancy Costumes, Feather Boas & Headresses and Bowties, Ties, Braces, Belts.
20s Party Decorations Products
- Party Products Australia – your one-stop shop for party supplies, based in Brisbane, Queensland. Party Products Australia stocks over 6000 items including invitations, balloons, napkins, plates, cups, hats, goody/loot bags, temporary tattoos, banner flags, pinatas, and a lot more! Themes include 20s party / gangster and Hollywood.
- Party Supplies Online – Sydney-based party products store in operation since 1991. They specialise in themed and coloured tableware, balloons costumes and more.
- Picture Store – offers an extensive range of posters, including Art deco styles.
20s Party Ideas
The 20s was all about Jazz and Prohibition, which meant loud music, lots of illegal drinking and organised crime.
- Decor – Do your house up as a 20s location like a Speakeasy (no admittance without a password), or a Jazz club. Art deco styles and colours also add to the ambience.
- Themes – Gangsters, Prohibition, Radio, Art deco, Jazz, Silent and B&W movies,
- Great Gatsby
- Celebrities – Al Capone, Charlie Chaplin, Coco Chanel, Greta Garbo, Harry Houdini, Jean Harlow, Louis Armstrong and Mae West.
- Activities - Learn 20s dances like The Charleston and Shimmy. Have everyone make up a 20s Gangster name for themselves, give a prize for the best one. Use 20s slang like: ‘bees knees/cat’s pyjamas’, ‘big cheese’, ‘baloney’ and ‘going to see a man about a dog’ (buying illegal alcohol).
20s Party Food
The Prohibition made alcohol more popular then ever. Speakeasies were noted for their horrendous food, as alcohol was the main event. Most did, however, serve salty snacks to make their patrons thirsty
- ‘Bathtub’ Gin – just put a handmade label saying ‘Bathtub Gin’ over the real label
- Cocktails and Champagne – if you break the Prohibition, do it in style.
- Salty Snacks – chips and dip, peanuts
- Chinese Food – this was new and fashionable in this era