The 90s are not that long ago, but that doesn’t mean you can’t throw a 90s party. This party lets you enjoy (ironically or otherwise) all the fabulous fashion and music of the last decade of the century. Browse down the page for food and party game ideas.
This decade brought the internet, modems, mobile phones, computer games.
90s Clothing and Costumes
- Costumes.com.au is based in Melbourne and delivers costumes and accessories (including shoes, hats, wigs, party supplies and more) with flat rate delivery Australia-wide. See their 1990s costumes
- Costume Box – Thousands of Fancy Dress costumes for adults and kids for all occasions. Sydney-based online store with delivery to Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Flat fee delivery within Australia. Most costumes dispatched within 24 hours. All costumes displayed are in stock. See their 90s costumes
- Early 90s: Layered and frizzed hair, under-cuts (haircut for boys), shell suits, leggings, ‘Blossom’ hats, hypercolour, high-waisted jeans, bright colours, baggy pants, flannel tops, Nike clothes, Doc Martens.
- Later: Pierced belly buttons, metrosexual-wear, spaghetti-strap dress over a crop top, the ‘Rachel’ haircut, butterfly hair clips, cargo pants, cup of Starbucks coffee, WWJD bracelets, Bootleg jeans.
90s Party Products & Decorations
- Coolthings has some cute retro products from the 90s – do you remember tetris and pacman, or lava lamps?
- Party Products Australia – your one-stop shop for party supplies, based in Brisbane, Queensland. Party Products Australia stocks over 6000 items including invitations, balloons, napkins, plates, cups, hats, goody/loot bags, temporary tattoos, banner flags, pinatas, and a lot more! Search for Alien and silver themes.
- Party Supplies Online – Sydney-based party products store in operation since 1991. They specialise in themed and coloured tableware, balloons costumes and more. See the range of Dress ups and Fancy Costumes.
90s Party Ideas
- Decor – Grunge posters, Posters of stars, movies and TV shows, technology-themed colour scheme (silver)
- Themes – Computers and the internet – including classic games like Pacman and Tetris, Grunge, Hypercolour, Metrosexuals, Novelty Rappers (MC Hammer, Sir Mix-a-Lot, Vanilla Ice), X-Files
- Celebrities – Cindy Crawford, Helena Christensen, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Moss, Lucy Lawless (Xena), Meg Ryan, Mel Gibson, Monica Lewinski, Nirvana, Pauly Shore, Pearl Jam, Salt n Pepper, The Spice Girls.
- Activities – Watch Sex and the City and Friends, do 90s dances like the Macarena and Running Man, Yo-yos, Texting competition (who can send a text message the fastest) and 90s Karaoke.
90s Party Food
The standout party-maker of the 90s was definitely the cocktail, especially the Cosmopolitan. For those that were too young to be drinking cocktails, lollies can set the scene.
- Cocktails and Drinks – Cosmopolitans, Cowboys, Manhattans and Martinis
- Lollies: Pushpops, Warheads, Nerds, Bubble Tape, Edable jewelry
- See also our Sex and the City theme
90s Music and Entertainment
- iTunes Music Store – Huge range of digital downloads available online through iTunes. Individual songs or whole albums. Buy music from these 90s artists –
- Alanis Morissette
- Backstreet Boys
- Bon Jovi
- Bryan Adams
- Celine Dion
- Green Day
- Guns n Roses
- Mariah Carey
- Marilyn Manson