This party is an ode to the tacky and the cheesy. Whether dancing the Hustle, wearing huge jewellery and animal print or consuming jelly shots, the fun of this party comes from the ‘wrong-ness’ of it. Below are some tips and suggestions for holding a Bad Taste party, all in the very worst of taste.
Bad Taste Music and Entertainment
One hit wonders, retro collections and CDs by people who should never have been allowed near a microphone.
Bad Taste Clothing and Costumes
Dress up as a tacky celebrity, wear a retro outfit or just make sure that everything you wear clashes. Complement your outfit with (in)appropriate jewellery and makeup.
- Costume Direct – are based in Sydney’s North Shore and deliver Australia-wide, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong the option of ordering online before 2pm and picking up at Wahroonga the next day (not weekends) – see the FAQ for details. They sell costumes and accessories (including capes, gloves, glasses, jewelry, bling, beards & moustaches, masks, legwear, shoes, wigs, weapons and wings). Start at their Fun Costumes and 1980′s & Punk Costumes for some styles that are best forgotten.
- Parties Online - Australian shop with Dress ups and Fancy Costumes. They sell Hats, Gloves, Glasses, Noses, Beards & Moustaches, plus a whole heap of complete Ladies’ and Men’s costumes. Based in Sydney, Parties Online have been selling party products since 1991. You’ll find lots of black costumes, wigs and accessories
- Costume Box – Thousands of Fancy Dress costumes for adults and kids for all occasions. Sydney-based online store with delivery to Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Flat fee delivery within Australia.
Bad Taste Party Products
Clashing colours or tacky themes.
- Party Products Australia – your one-stop shop for party supplies, based in Brisbane, Queensland. Party Products Australia stocks over 6000 items. Beach party and Valentine themes are ideal.
- Parties Online – Sydney-based party products store in operation since 1991. They specialise in themed and coloured tableware, balloons costumes and more.
Bad Taste Party Ideas
Bad Taste Parties require little preparation, as there are little or no aesthetic considerations. Think cheap, old and messy and you have a bad taste party ready-made.
- Decor – Clashing colours, Mess, Old furniture and decorations from op shops.
- Themes – Bogans/White Trash/Chavs, Doomed couples, Drunks, Famous criminals, Historical disasters, Injuries, Las Vegas, Outdated and Knock-off clothing, Rappers, Reality TV contestants and Recent scandals.
- Celebrities – Anna Nicole Smith, Britney Spears and Kevin Federline, Eminem, Hugh Hefner, Kath and Kim, Keith Richards, Kylie Minogue in the 80s, Liza Minnelli and Husbands, Michael Jackson, Monica Lewinsky, Osama bin Laden, Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, Paul Burrell and Victoria Beckham
- Activities – Worst dressed competition, worst dancer competition, fondue
Bad Taste Party Food
These ideas are more tacky than disgusting, in case you actually want to eat the food, but there is also some pretend disgusting food just for entertainment value.
- Drinks: Vodka Jelly shots, Passion Pop, West Coast Coolers and dated cocktails. Serve drinks in inappropriate glassware (eg plastic tumblers)
- Decorate a cake badly with garish coloured writing.
- Serve nuts in a NEW kitty litter container. Put some ‘fun sized’ chocolate bars in there and serve with a scoop (also new).
- Serve normal party food in the tackiest way possible. Serve chips in their packets, have a few chips already sticking out of the dip and have empty bottles already lying around.
- See our Spooky and 70s themed pages for more bad taste food ideas.