August is the last month of winter for us in the southern hemisphere. Time to come out of hibernation and start partying.
When you use National Days and weeks for your party theme, you could some fundraising for them as well.
- The 40 Hour Famine for World Vision is in August. Have a party to congratulate those who partipated.
- Christmas in Winter! Dreaming of a White Christmas? Or at least a cold one? Lots of Australians get over that by having a Christmas in our Winter – mainly June and July but August can often feel like the coldest month of all. See Christmas Party Costumes, Decorations and Ideas available all year round.
- CBCA Children’s Book Week. Get each guest to bring along a copy of their favourite book from their childhood and even dress as a character. Or choose your favourite and make that the theme. See our Book Week party ideas.
- National Engineering Week – dress as engineers, have building contests with construction toys
- Cupcake Day for the RSPCA make cupcakes, cupcake decorating competitions, dress as a cupcake – and do some fundraising while you’re at it
- Daffodil Day – The Cancer Council’s major annual fundraiser is in August. Have a yellow themed party.
- Jeans for Genes Day – Major national fundraiser for the Children’s Medical Research Institute. Make it a jeans day at work, or party in denim.
- It’s Elvis Week in the USA so why not here too. (Elvis’s birthday is in January) see Elvis Party Theme Decorations, Costumes and Ideas
- 13 August is International Lefthanders Day – Go shopping for a left-handed party-poppers and celebrate all things sinistral.
Famous August Birthdays
Have a party to celebrate the birthdays of these famous people or characters. Like current birthdays, you can have them on the nearest weekend.
- 2 August – Peter O’Toole, actor, famous for roles including Lawrence of Arabia and Don Quixote (Man of la Mancha).
- 4 August – Barack Obama – Come in costume as your favourite President of the United States, or First Lady for that matter.
- 5 August – Neil Armstrong, astronaut and first man on the moon – Mark the occasion with an outer space party.
- 6 August – Andy Warhol – Iconic pop artist who said “In the future, everyone will be world-famous for fifteen minutes.”
- 7 August – David Duchovny – Star of the X-Files in the 1990s.
- 13 August – Alfred Hitchcock – The master of suspense. Dress as a character from any of his movies – or as himself because he always made a cameo appearance in his movies.
- 16 August – Madonna – Singer, actor, Material Girl – Creator of many party tunes.
- 23 August – Gene Kelly – Singing and dancing star of Singing in the Rain. Make movie magic with some Hollywood glamour.
- 25 August – Sean Connery – perhaps the suavest of James Bonds.
- 30 August – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, writer of Frankenstein. Dress up as Frankenstein, make Frankenstein dolls – see Spooky parties for ideas
See themes for other months
- January Party Ideas January is the start of a new year and mid-summer so costumes that are not too hot are best.
- February Party Ideas
- March Party Ideas
- April Party Ideas includes Easter, plus lots of TV soap birthdays
- May Party Ideas
- June Party Ideas
- July Party Ideas
- August Party Ideas
- September Party Ideas Pirate Paaarghties and more
- October Party Ideas Oktoberfest and Halloween with lots in between
- November Party Ideas starts with the Melbourne Cup
- December Party Ideas more than Christmas