The film was released in 1977 and stars a young Travolta. By night he is the king of the local disco, 2001 Odyssey. Have fun with this theme! Play some 70s disco, practice your jives and boogies, wear some flares and sparkly 70s costumes and decorate with disco balls and lights. Another film from the late 70s disco era is Xanadu, starring Olivia Newton John.
Clothing and Costumes
In the film Travolta wears a white suit, but there are plenty of 70s disco costumes to choose from. These include flares, sparkly shirts and roller skates. Browse the shops below for some costume ideas.
- Party Supplies Online – Australian shop with Dress ups and Fancy Costumes. They sell Hats, Gloves, Glasses, Noses, Beards & Moustaches, plus a whole heap of complete Ladies’ and Men’s costumes. Based in Sydney, Parties Online have been selling party products since 1991. You’ll find lots of costumes, wigs and accessories
- Costume Box – Hundreds of quality costumes to choose from. Based in Sydney with Australia-wide delivery. Costume Box stock groovy 70s disco outfits, see 1970s costumes and Disco costumes and accessories.
Hang a disco ball and clear a space for a dancefloor!
- Party Supplies Online – Party supplies to suit almost any occasion. Based in Sydney. Parties Online stock disco tableware, scene setters and cutouts. See Disco, Rock n Roll.
- Party Products Australia – Stock over 6000 items including disco tableware, Boogie squares for the walls, border rolls and decorations. Based in Brisbane, Queensland.
Entertainment and Music
Music for a Saturday Night Fever party should include a lot of 70s disco. Songs by the Bee Gees featured heavily in the movie and soundtrack. Other artists include KC and the Sunshine Band and Yvonne Elliman.
Watch the film, play the soundtrack, have a dance competition and play 70’s or Saturday Night Fever trivia.
- For more inspiration, including food ideas, see 70s party.