Here are some Aussie Icon ideas but once you start thinking about them, there are lots more. Don’t forget to practice the voices and cliched lines.
- Australian TV / Comedy Characters
- Dame Edna is the obvious one, or extend it to all of the Barry Mackenzie cast with Bazza himself, Les Patterson, Madge.
- Norman Gunston (the Little Aussie Bleeder) you need a comb over and some toilet paper
- Kath & Kim
- Australian Politicians. The wigs for Julia, the budgie smugglers for Tony Abbott… Think of your favourite, and least favourite, politicians – at any level of government, current or old-timers.
- Australian Music, Musicians and Bands
- 70’s Bands. Don’t forget at least one Molly Meldrum
- Bee Gees – all those costumes and hairstyles and songs
- Australian Films – not necessarily your favourite or the best films, think of the films that offer the best characters, props, music or games.
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert – everything from the drag queens to the outback Aussie’s in their singlets.
- Mad Max!
- Crocodile Dundee
- Strictly Ballroom
- Aussie Cliches – you’ve got a lot of freedom to expose your prejudices here
- The Aussie Bloke and Sheila
- Lifesavers, Surfers and Beach Girls.
- Footballers and other sports “personalities”
Aussie Icon Party Costumes, Gifts & Prizes
Wigs, glasses, accessories and maybe a bit of make-up are often all you need – unless you want to go all out and have a Priscilla Party.
- Costumes.com.au is based in Melbourne and delivers costumes and accessories (including shoes, hats, wigs, party supplies and more) with flat rate delivery Australia-wide. Options for same day to Melbourne metro, order online and pick up from their warehouse in Kilsyth, Victoria.