This can be simply a themed costume party, or involve a variety of games. The classic mystery party game has guests cast in various roles and competing to sniff out the culprit in their midst. The “crime” is often murder, but it could be something as simple – and dastardly – as eating the last Malteser.
Boxed kits containing clues and scripts are available to help with organising the mystery or if you would rather join in the fun of solving the mystery, a party planner can do the organising for you (see “Mystery Party Experiences” below).
Get in costume and in character – think Sherlock Holmes and Watson, Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple), Alfred Hitchcock’s blonde heroines, Scooby Doo and his buddies, or the characters from Cluedo. See “Mystery Party Ideas” below for costume and party decor ideas.
Mystery Party Decorations
Props and decorations set the scene for the mystery as it unfolds. Wall decorations and other decor can transform a room – choose a theme that suits the backstory of your mystery, for example an international location, a historical era, or a glamorous Hollywood or underworld theme.
Mystery Party Games & Props
- Coolthings – The latest cool gadgets, gizmos & gifts that make you say “That’s Cool”. Delivery to anywhere in Australia and also overseas. They have gifts and gadgets including a range of “spy gear“
- Agatha Christie games on the official website – wordsearches, crosswords, etc
Mystery Party Ideas
Keep food and drink simple – mystery parties involve lots of conversation and mingling as guests apply their sleuthing skills to solving the mystery. Finger food keeps people fed without interrupting the fun.
The style and decor of your mystery party will depend on the theme you go with:
- Sherlock Holmes – think grimy 19th century England, deerstalker hats, pipes, magnifying glasses, and tweed.
- Alfred Hitchcock’s films are all about suspense – think dark decor, and foreboding or suspenseful music. Hitchcock’s actors included the dapper Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant and blonde dames like Grace Kelly and Ingrid Bergman.
- Scooby Doo – think 1960s psychedelic culture, bright decor, fun snacks like chips and brightly coloured drinks.
- Cluedo – the focus of this party is on solving a murder mystery. Characters include: Colonel Mustard, Miss Scarlet, Reverend Green, Professor Plum, Mrs White, Mrs Peacock, and Dr Black.