Roll up, roll up for the party of the year! A visit to the circus or carnival always includes lots of fun, entertainment, bright colours, food, music and prizes. What better theme for a party! A circus/carnival theme would be best suited to an outdoors venue where your guests are free to try their hand at juggling, handstands or clowning.
Nominate someone with a loud voice to be the ringmaster and dress them accordingly.
- Create a carnival atmosphere by decorating in bright colours with flags and streamers.
- String up fairy lights.
- Create a circus ring or stage in the backyard or living room.
- Make a booth using cardboard and hand out popcorn or fairy floss to your guests. The more adventurous could turn this into a kissing booth.
Circus and Carnival Costumes
- Costume Box have lots of circus costumes and accessories to choose from including clown costumes, bowties, honking red noses, goofy shoes, wigs, suspenders, and more. Costume Box are based in Sydney with flat rate Express Post Delivery throughout Australia.
Circus and Carnival Activities
- Nominate a ringmaster to announce activities to your guests.
- Ask guests to have a party trick ready to perform in the circus ring. Examples include magic acts, puppetry, a joke, a mime, hand stands or acrobatics and juggling.
- Ask a friend (or hire someone) to face paint.
- Organise carnival games such as –
- Pin the nose on the clown
- Bobbing for apples
- Ring toss
- A Hoola Hoop competition
- Balloon Dart – Stick inflated balloons to a sheet of thick cardboard. Attach this to a wall and ask your guests to hit them with darts.
- Duck shoot
- Hand out prizes such as rubber chickens or large stuffed toys.
Carnival food includes obvious favourites such as fairy floss, popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, French fries, mini pizzas, toffee apples, and lollies.
- See also Second Childhood party ideas