Australia Day is on January 26 every year and marks the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788 and what many see as the invasion of this continent. Across Australia there are parades, barbecues, parties and fireworks, citizenship ceremonies, protests and mixed feelings. It is a day to reflect on what it means to be Australian.
Some think we should move it to a more neutral day – Like Wattle Day on the 1st of September. What do you think? Read on below for some ideas for an Australia-themed party.
Or try something different and have an Aussie Icon's Party with a options like Edna Everage, Australian politicians, etc.
Australian Things To Do & Eat On
- Try some of these quintessentially Australian foods:
- Prawns, lamb steaks, barbecued mango, potato salad, coleslaw, hamburgers, damper, prawn and avocado skewers.
- Learn about bush tucker
- You'll need a range of drinks for children and adults, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. If you're going to a public park, make sure you take plenty of water, as there aren't always clean drinking taps around.
- Children: Fruit juice poppers, apple juice, fizzy drinks, water.
- Adults: Beer, wine, water, fizzy drinks, orange juice, water.
- You can't forget the deserts:
- Lamingtons, icy poles, Anzac biscuits, pavlova, decorate a cake for Australia (or even bake a cake in the shape of Australia!).
- Backyard and beach sports. Play cricket, soccer, football and gripball.
- If you're looking for something to do on Australia Day in your city, see the BCL January What's On pages for each capital city and their respective states: Adelaide | Brisbane | Canberra | Darwin | Hobart | Melbourne | Perth | Sydney | If you're arranging an event, you can advertise it free on those pages.
Australian Decorations & Catering
- Costumebox – originally a costume store now has an extensive party shop with decorations, tableware, party invitations, cake supplies and more, where you can shop by theme, occasion, and shop by colour.
Australian Party Costumes & Clothing
- Costume Box – Thousands of fancy dress costumes, wigs, hats, accessories and masks. Most costumes dispatched within 24 hours. All costumes displayed are in stock. Browse their Australia Day section for face paints, wigs and hats with an Australian theme.