Eighties music is still famously catchy and danceable. In the 80s, you could have listened to it on your new Sony Walkman.
The 1980s was the decade Punk and New Wave went mainstream. Fashion had a strong DIY aesthetic, with lots of mix and match, bold clashes, underwear as outerwear. Androgyny was in. Hair was big – crimped, permed, and wildly coloured. At the same time, the Eighties was a time of power dressing and corporate excess, the decade of Gordon Gekko and “greed is good”.
80s Party Ideas
- Decor – Bright colours and geometric shapes. Posters of 80s stars and movies. Have a classic 80s movie playing in the background
- Themes – Big hair, Dynasty, shoulder pads, MTV, oversized tops, martial arts uniforms, acid wash and high-waisted jeans, Star Wars
- Celebrities – Boy George, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, Duran Duran, George Michael, Jane Fonda, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Michael J Fox, Molly Ringwald, Mr T, Olivia Newton-John, Annie Lennox, Prince, and the Brat Pack.
- Activities – Karaoke, Biggest hair and best outfit competitions, 80s trivia. Atari and Arcade style games. The 80s brought Tetris and Pacman - see Retro Games Party ideas
80s Clothing and Costumes
- Costume Box – Thousands of Fancy Dress costumes for adults and kids for all occasions. Most costumes dispatched within 24 hours. All costumes displayed are in stock. To see some ridiculous wigs, fluro accessories and typically 80s pop star costumes see their 1980s costumes.
- Parties Online – Sydney-based party products store in operation since 1991. They specialise in themed and coloured tableware, balloons costumes and more. See the range of Dress ups and Fancy Costumes.
- Costume Direct – are based in Sydney’s North Shore and deliver Australia-wide, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong. They sell adults and children’s costumes and accessories (including capes, gloves, glasses, jewelry, bling, beards & moustaches, masks, legwear, shoes, wigs, weapons and wings). You’ll find lots of 80s costumes in their
80s Party Products & Decorations
- Party Products Australia – your one-stop shop for party supplies, based in Brisbane, Queensland. Party Products Australia stocks over 6000 items including invitations, balloons, napkins, plates, cups, hats, goody/loot bags, temporary tattoos, banner flags, pinatas, and a lot more! See their 80s party & rock star themed party products
- Parties Online – Sydney-based party products store in operation since 1991. They specialise in themed and coloured tableware, balloons costumes and more.
- Picture Store – offers an extensive range of Movie and TV Show and Music posters. See their Wedding Singer posters
- Cool Things is all about the latest cool gadgets, gizmos and gifts that make you say “That’s Cool.” Coolthings are based in Launceston, Tasmania and deliver Australia wide and internationally. Orders can be gift wrapped complete with a message to the lucky recipient. Cool things have retro space invaders ice trays as well as retro phones and toys.
- Blue Dog Posters in Sydney is Australia’s largest online poster shop. Get your poster laminated or delivered as is. Delivery to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. Flat rate delivery Australia wide and express delivery is also available. See their movies posters and music posters or go straight to posters from 80s pop culture including -
80s party food
Food in the 80s is not all that different from contemporary party food, but the cocktails of the 80s were probably the standout of the decade.
- 80s Drinks: West Coast Coolers, Daiquiris, Blue Lagoon, Black Russians, Long Island Iced Tea, Sex on the Rocks, Screwdriver, anything with Galliano or Sambuca. Remember to serve with umbrellas!
- Lollies from the 80s: Redskins, Red and Green frogs, Milk bottles, Teeth. See Moo-Lolly-Bar for all your old favourites.
80s Music and Entertainment
- Movies – St Elmo’s Fire, The Breakfast Club, and Wall Street.
- iTunes Music Store – Huge range of digital downloads available online through iTunes. Individual songs or whole albums. Buy music from these 80s artists -
- Air Supply
- Billy Idol
- Billy Joel
- Bon Jovi
- Bruce Springsteen
- Bryan Adams
- Cyndi Lauper
- Culture Club
- Dire Straits
- Duran Duran
- George Michael
- Gloria Estefan
- Guns n Roses
- Hunters and Collectors
- John Farnham
- Kylie Minogue