The 70s was a time of dramatic social change. The costumes and music alone are enough to make a party. Another plus is that it was recent enough to have plenty of artifacts you can use to set the mood. You could find some old clothes in parents cupboards and there'll be family photos that give clues too.
The 70s was a time of mini-skirts, platform shoes, wide lapels and ties, flared trousers, and mullet hairstyles. Safari suits and handbags made a brief appearance for men. Girls burned their bras.
The dismissal of the Whitlam Government on November 11, 1975 was the most dramatic political event in the history of Australia's Federation. (see more here)
70s Clothing and Costumes
- Costumes.com.au is based in Melbourne and delivers costumes and accessories (including shoes, hats, wigs, party supplies and more) with flat rate delivery Australia-wide. See their 1970s costumes
- Costume Box – Thousands of Fancy Dress costumes for adults and kids for all occasions. Sydney-based online store with delivery to Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Flat fee delivery within Australia. Most costumes dispatched within 24 hours. All costumes displayed are in stock. See their 70s costumes or use their site search for Disco
70s Party Products & Decorations
- Party Products Australia – your one-stop shop for party supplies, based in Brisbane, Queensland. Party Products Australia stocks over 6000 items including invitations, balloons, napkins, plates, cups, hats, goody/loot bags, temporary tattoos, banner flags, pinatas, and a lot more! Themes include Rock n Roll.
70s Party Ideas
When you think of the 70s, the disco era is an obvious theme. But there were plenty of other fashion and music disaster areas you can spice up your 70s party with.
- Decor – To create the mood, clear space for a dance floor and hang a mirror ball from the roof. Other 70s-tastic decor could include: Brown, orange and green shades; wood veneer; Beanbags; shag rugs; Lavalamps; and 70s glassware from op shops.
- Themes – Screen characters/celebrities of the 70s, Disco, 70s fashion and Roller-Disco (this is best outsourced to a rollerskating rink)
- Celebrities – Sports stars with moustaches, Farrah Fawcett, Aretha Franklin, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Nixon, David Bowie, ABBA, Bee Gees, ACDC
- Activities – Disco dancing competition, Biggest afro/platforms/bellbottoms competition. 70s trivia, Play limbo!
70s Party Food
The 70s was never known for its good taste, and the food was no exception. The craze for fondue (and the related put-everything-on-toothpicks fad) makes an obvious food theme. Keep in mind that some of this food may be more fun to make (and laugh at) than eat.
- Fondues, both sweet and savoury
- Skewer any of the following on a toothpick: cabannossi, gherkins, cocktail onions, cheese and pineapple, mini frankfurts. For extra tackiness you could stick the toothpicks in a grapefruit
- Quiche, miniature or otherwise
- Prawn Cocktails
- Pigs in a Blanket
- For more 1970s foods see Food Timeline
- For more inspiration see Saturday Night Fever party ideas
- See also our Rocky Horror Picture show theme
70s Themed Music and Entertainment
- 70s artists include –
- Alice Cooper
- Al Green
- Barry Manilow
- Bee Gees
- Carly Simon
- The Carpenters
- Cat Stevens
- David Bowie
- Diana Ross
- The Doors
- The Eagles
- Electric Light Orchestra
- Elton John
- Elvis Presley
- Eric Clapton
- KC & The Sunshine Band
- Kenny Rogers
- Olivia Newton John
- Peter Frampton
- Rolling Stones
- Stevie Wonder
- Village People
- The Who